The Felixstowe Academy was formed from two schools in September 2011. The Academy is a member of the Academies Enterprise Trust (AET) and has 1600 students across 2 campuses in Felixstowe.
How is RE distinctive?
- The RE department committed considerable energy and commitment in working together to create high quality programmes of learning for students.
- It has taken the lead in whole school initiatives such as Assessment for Learning.
- The RE department shares findings of new strategies for learning with the wider school community.
- As a result of the REQM process, it decided to involve students in planning programmes for learning for the next academic year.
- Trials across both sites have shown that this creates substantially higher levels of engagement and motivation among learners.
- The subject leader has contributed to SACRE and regularly contributes to conferences and network meetings.
- The subject leader has been on the county writing group for RE support materials and is developing ideas for RE’s contribution to education for sustainability.
What can other schools take from this?
- The Felixstowe Academy has used the REQM process to drive forward improvements, raise the profile with the SLT and the AET group of academies.
- It is making significant changes to its planning to incorporate student voice.
- The subject leader is making an impact within the school and the wider RE community.